Saturday, December 17, 2011

Traveling Woman Revisited

I am too pleased with myself! I was desperately trying to find a scarf pattern, then finish it to gift my oldest grandson's 3rd grade teacher. I found a beautiful skein of yarn in my stash that I'd planned for a one-skein hat that never happened. Long ago lost the label so didn't know what I was working with. I found a cute Ribs&Ruffled scarf pattern that called for size 13 needles and Misty Baby Alpaca yarn. I wasn't paying $27.00 for a handpainted yarn. Didn't want to pay the cost of one that wasn't handpainted or even the suitable substitute that had been suggested by my favorite LYS. So finally brainstormed and came up with another needle size (10) and the right amount of stitches to make the pattern work (see there is something to be said for learning to recognize patterns that is taught in kindergarten and 1st grade). And, success of all successes, I was able to use the beautiful yarn I found in my stash. Well after the time it took to get to that point, and preparing for the Christmas Pageant at the boys school, I just ran out of time. Oh what to do as I'd already let the teacher know she was going to receive a hand-knitted item from me!!!! Well I regifted a beautiful plaque that I'd received from my days as a 1st grade teacher; bought a pretty little red, apple-pie scented candle (symbolic of the apple you give to a teacher); and, AND came up with the genius idea of including the Traveling Woman shawlette I'd completed in a KAL with one of my Ravelry groups! Pure genius. It was too small for me to wear and I swear it makes me look like a really gifted knitter (lol). I packaged it with really beautiful paper and boxes and gift shopping bag from the Family Dollar down the street from the school and Grandson presented it to Ms. Lynch! He was ecstatic, telling me how she hugged him when she opened her gifts. She later found me, hugged and thanked me too. I was a bit concerned that she might not like it because she's a young woman. But she truly did. She's a tad bit on the conservative side. The night before she introduced me to her Dad and her Godmother. The Godmother had a beautiful narrow knitted item around her neck that she said she'd gotten from a craft fair. The Godmother then proceeded to show me how it could be wrapped to be worn in various ways. I feel very comfortable that Ms. Lynch appreciates yarn crafts and truly liked the shawlette.

No comments:

Post a Comment