Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Last Day of Vacation

I know I was living in some sort of fantasy world to think 10 days was a long time and would not go by fast (laugh). Ten weeks would not be long enough for a vacation!!!! Did I accomplish any of the things I wanted to do? Not really. Not much. Not being at work was the only thing that changed. The rest of the responsibilities stayed the same, except for the days I "stomped my foot and said NO, I'm not going; I'm not taking you; I'm not doing it, do it for yourself!" So I did manage to get some rest, and some knitting in. But still, not enough. The weather was beautiful, seemingly perfect for what I wanted to do--cloudy, rainy days for when I just wanted to lay around and nap; sunny and warm days when I wanted to sit on the balcony. This is Chicago though. It's rare that the weather seems to do what you want it to, when you want it to!!!

I think I Jinxed Myself . . .
I mentioned that I hadn't intended to let a whole week go by before posting again although it seemed that that was an appropriate timeframe. But then, it's taken me almost a month to get back here to post. So, I won't ever mention what might be a proper timeframe again. Though I know it's good to post when you feel like it, I'd like to get myself in the habit of posting on a more regular basis and/or timeframe. I don't want to be like some who have not posted since, let's say, early in 2008 (laugh). The past couple of weeks were pleasant (except for some of what you might hear on the news). My grandson and I did not experience any more traumatic events as we did with the driveby shootings.
Mother's Day
I am blessed that my 90-year-0ld Mom is still alive and well. We went to church together and came back and had a quiet day at home. We spoke with my daughter on the phone. My son, one of his girlfriends and their daughter Julissa came by to visit us. As we all know, every day is Mother's Day! I hope I have the genes that my Mother has. I think (hope) she (and I) will be here until she reaches 100! Longer if it is God's will. I don't know of too many women who have had a worry-free life. You'd think maybe the rich have had a worry-free life. But not necessarily. Look at the late Rose Kennedy and the heartaches she endured. She didn't pick cotton or live the dirt poor, agricultural life of a southerner like my Mother, Grandmother, Aunts, etc., at one time did. Mom still has an indomitable spiritual and physical presence. I wish I had half her energy and all of her faith and wisdom. Because of her I got to spend time in the south with my grandparents on their working farm with every animal from chickens to cows, with cousins and aunts and uncles before landing in the big Windy City at age 6. Those were some very formative years for me and probably has shaped who I am more than anything else in my life. I look at my Mom at the end of her life and have to remind myself of the patience it takes to deal with an elderly person, and take the time to count the blessing of her longevity. It is a constant reminder to me, when I sometimes get frustrated with my own "grown" children, of how she is still here for me!

ELMO
During my vacation I also got to go on a field trip to see Sesame Street Live! with Khalil's Kindergarten class. Deja Vu. I saw this last year with his preschool class at another school!!!! But it's always fun, fun, fun. It's great to hear the songs the characters sing set to music, say by Three Dog Night and others. I promise you, we adults have just as much fun, clapping and singing just like the kids. What's not to love about Sesame Street!!!!! And I always love riding the yellow school bus (and I wasn't on the short one) and encouraging the kids to sing songs that drive the bus driver (and usually the other adults) crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment