Saturday, July 10, 2010

Getting Back on Track

Prior to my last two posts it's been a while since I've posted. Most of us bloggers are guilty of doing that. But once blogging is in your blood, it stays on your mind until you get back on track. Why is the appeal to do so more nagging when it's online than say in a handwritten journal. Less effort I guess. But anyway, the last time I truly had plans to get back to this blog was about the time Michael took most of the spotlight from Farrah dying on the same day (a little over a year ago). It's my humble opinion that Farrah would have wanted it that way! Oh well, and no disrespect meant to either, who knows! And, no disrespect meant to either, who really cares! Life went on. In a nutshell, here's how mine did. Walking out on faith (it works every time because He is pleased when you trust Him), I quit a horribly tiring job on September 26, 2009. It left me with little, no correction, it left me with no time except to sleep (or try to) and work. Most times I wasn't getting the rest I needed because I am my Mom's only caregiver so quite often, when I should have been sleeping, I was taking her to a doctor's apointment. Or I was picking up my grandson from school, doing his homework with him, then trying to get some sleep in an apartment where 5 other folks were trying to live normally. To live normally, one has to make noise! I worked overnights where my shift changed from 11pm to 7am (which allowed me to get home and get my grandson to school); from 12am to 8am (which didn't allow me to get him to school on time); finally from 1am to 9am (ridiculous). I was going to deal with it though. But often times if I got stuck doing a job waiting for relief, I often was quite late getting off. No overtime pay. Just comp time that you'd have to beg for and pray you got. Also staff meetings were often held at 3pm so imagine that it's like getting up in the middle of the night (if you work a day shift) to come in for a meeting. Of course you were written up if you didn't show up. It wouldn't have been so bad if the meetings were professional, actual business/needs of the company, etc. were discussed. I have never worked with a group of more ignorant, try-to-be-in-your-business folks in my life. Not everyone was like that, but most. The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back was a shift change to the evenings which would have not allowed me to be the caregiver to my Mom that I needed to be. Some folks requested and got what they needed whether it was a shift change or a day off. I was not one of the favored ones so I quit. No regrets yet!!! Even though I don't have health care. No regrets yet!!!! My doctor hasn't charged me for a visit yet, has given me the source to discount my meds and says he will work with me if I need hospitilization!!! Though so many words, I had more wonderful life events occur.

My Mom turned 91 on November 4, 2010. What a blessing that she is still here and in her right mind! Sometimes I think she has more energy than me!

On January 15, 2010 I again witnessed the birth of a grandson, Joshua Blakes. He is almost 6 months, and brother to Khalil age 7, Aiden age 3, and Olivia age 1. These little guys are the air that I breathe! I was in the delivery room for each of their births. 

Joshua                                                                          Aiden, Olivia, & Khalil
I do the Boy Scout and basketball thing with Khalil. With four children, my daughter is busy. Khalil has graduated from Tiger Cubs to Wolf and is a Cub Scout now. His team, the St. Dorothy Defenders took 2nd place in the Catholic League championship. They would have won if the 1st & even 2nd string had been allowed to play the entire game. But the coaches wanted everyone to get a chance to play.











Here is the really nice thing about this past year. Though I fight for more "me time" I now have more time, more quality time with my family and to knit. The rest of the free time comes when I make sure, metorphorically," that everyone is "fed and diapered" and then I put my foot down and just say "NO. YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN!" I have gotten out more to knitting groups, met some new knitting friends, taken a class or two at one of my knit shops and am actually working on somethings for myself. Thanks to Facebook I've reconnected with old friends. Thanks to Ravelry I've made new friends. What's next? A vacation? I'm working on it. I might just have to settle for a fancy room for a night or even two at the Sheraton! It's so nice to be back on track!

No comments:

Post a Comment